Tips for Safe, Gluten-Free Dining
- If in doubt, choose a restaurant that offers a separate gluten-free menu. (We have noted this in our detailed listings).
- It may be safer to eat at a more upscale restaurant where the chefs are typically more knowledgeable about special dietary needs.
- Contact the chef or restaurant manager ahead of time to ensure that a gluten-free meal can be accommodated.
- Before placing your meal order, always tell your server that you are gluten-sensitive.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions about your meal, how it will be prepared, and whether there is potential for cross-contamination. The kitchen or wait staff should be able to tell you if a menu item contains wheat or gluten, and suggest substitutions or modifications.
- Don’t forget to thank the chef and restaurant staff for their efforts!